Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Nothing: Day 1

I would first like to say that this has been an incredible opportunity to be apart of a collaboration with you all at the Berkeley Art Museum.

These are a collection of my thoughts, ideas, and progress working on the piece for the Berkeley Art Museum:

Day 1:

I didn't know what to expect of the Berkeley Art Museum. I had never been there before and frankly I didn't expect it to surpass my expectation. Wow... what an amazing building and center. The architecture of that building is simple and tasteful. When hearing that they were going to change locations made me sad... but oh well life happens. Anyway, The Possible is the current exhibition at the museum. It is an experimental exhibition that encourages multiple mediums to come together and create in a collaborative manner. Walking through the exhibition, I felt very inspired and motivated for the piece that we were going to install in The Something.

As we made our way through the levels of the building we reached The Something. At first I wasn't sure if the pieces that were created in the space were still in progress or finished. What had been installed in the space was a clear box that held many glittery and "funky" items, a large projection of typical mac book wallpaper, and a huge tarp that looked like a circus tent. I was very pleased with the pieces, but noticing all the extra material lying around I knew that the piece was not complete. There we met with Zina, one of the main artists in this collaborative project, where she introduced us to the materials we could use, the space itself, and the meaning behind this addition to The Possible. She also talked a bit on her experience with collaboration in all aspects. She told us that one of the members of her collaborative group threw this big white tarp over almost all materials that they had been working with. In collaborative groups it can sometimes get a bit challenging and some firm choice and direction might be called for. Zina was expressing how with so many extravagant thoughts and ideas it sometimes gets overwhelming and it might lead to thinking about the minimal.

Side note:
At that moment I knew I wanted to incorporate the tarp in some way. Even the tarp being the piece itself. To be honest, at that point I was a bit burnt on the idea of this "funky" instillation because I thought it was turning into a more extravagant idea then I thought... So at that moment I took a step back and brainstorm on a minimal, yet powerful and slightly funky, piece.

When Zina was finished laying out the rules, we were free to have at it! Immediately we started dressing up in masks, sparkley material, and cloth. Towards the end we had gathered all of the materials that we thought would be necessary to make a successful and funky piece.

At this point, I was very excited to get going on our awesome collaboration and be apart of this "funky" instillation at the Berkeley Art Museum.






No comments:

Post a Comment